FC6 Shutdown

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 08:21:01 UTC 2007

2007/3/13, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:28 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > maybe I was not very clear.
> > I usually shutdown the machine by System/Stop where you have the
> > Re-start/Clear/Stop options.
>
> I don't see options with those particular names.  You might want to tell
> us whether you're doing that from within a logged in session (KDE,
> Gnome, etc.), or the login screen (GDM, KDM, etc.).
>
> > If I push the Stop button the system should stop, but many times I
> > have to rerun procedure
>
> In what way are you re-running things?  It does nothing, and you simply
> pick the same option?  It reboots, and you tell it to shutdown again?
> Something else?
>
> I found that one of my boxes, long ago, wouldn't do a power off until I
> played around with BIOS options regarding APM/ACPI and also playing with
> kernel parameters.  See the kernel docs for information about the "acpi"
> or "apm" choices available to you.  Any parameters you use are placed on
> the kernel line when you bootup Linux (edit your GRUB menu items,
> temporarily, using the hotkeys available to you at bootup; or edit them
> permanently in the grub.conf file - you can add new entries with
> different parameters with the same kernel).
>
> See:  /usr/share/doc/kernel*/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
>
> And from one of my /boot/grub/grub.conf files:
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2142_FC4)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=force
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4.img
>
> Notice that I've had to add acpi=force to get ACPI to do its tricks on
> this PC.
>
> --
> (This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
>  to the thread)

> --

Some misunderstanding comes from translation (I am running Fedora in Italian)
When I open the window System/Stop I have three options (buttons):
Restart/Cancel/Stop from left to right. It happens when I want to stop
the computer.Sometimes it doens't stop and I have to go trhough
System/Stop/Stop procedure (always graphically)
Problem of acpi=force has been included in one computer to power off
the machine!!!
Tnx

--
Antonio Montagnani