Split Sendmail Config

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Tue Mar 13 12:54:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:03 +0000, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone point me to a solution for a little problem I have ?
>
> I send out newsletters a few times a month for some church organisations
> I work with - all fully opt-in, don't worry :-)  Our mailhost does all
> its own outgoing SMTP work, so there is no smart-host defined in the
> sendmail.mc file.  However, some ISPs - charter.net in particular - won't
> accept mail directly from our mailhost and so I have to keep on switching
> over to use out ISPs smarthost to deliver those dozen or so emails.
>
> Can I (easily) tell sendmail to deliver *@charter.net through our ISP's
> smarthost, while handling all the rest of our outgoing SMTP stream
> directly as we currently do ?

I'm a Postfix user myself (using transport table/maps) however if my
understanding is correct a sendmail "mailertable" entry might just do
the trick.

# Add me to /etc/mail/mailertable and issue a "makemap
# hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable"
#
# This will send all mail for @charter.net via the ISP SMTP relay while
# leaving other mail to be sent directly as per normal config

charter.net	smtp:[my.isp.smtp.relay]

See http://www.sendmail.org/m4/mailertables.html for further
explanation.

> Jonathan

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com> in Brisbane, Australia
"Be master of your mind, not mastered by mind"