Yet another FC install: kernel panic after boot from DVD

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 14:33:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 10:06 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 12/03/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > The truth is I don't really understand what you are claiming you did.
> > Are you saying when you trying to install FC6 from an install DVD you
> > get a kernel panic?
>
> Yes.
>
> > When does this happen ? Before your get the initial
> > screen which allows you to install in graphics mode or text mode, etc?
> > Or is it after it starts the install?
>
> Before it gets to the initial screen which allows one to install in
> graphics or text mode.
>
> But I've not given up on that system. The other machine (AMD box) was
> overheating, and upon disassembaly I discovered that there was no
> white grease between the processor and the heat sink! As I have no
> white grease at home, I disassembled this box (P4) and salvaged it's
> grease. So until I get my hands on some more grease, this box is
> grounded.

You certainly get in to things. I have never known anyone before to
check the white grease between his processor and the heat sink.

But back to the kernel panic. If it occurs before initial install screen
I can't see what you can do about it form a software point of view
except muck around with the BIOS. I ma not sure why anyone would think
you could insert a noacpic or any other kernel parameter into the
process.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>