convert VHS to DVD

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 13 18:06:46 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:

> On a slightly different topic, my girlfriend has this problem
> as well, and also wants to copy several DVDs so she can wear
> out the copies rather than the originals. She bought some
> commercial software, DVDx I believe, which claims to do that,
> and which we tried to run under Wine. We hit some permissions
> problems it looks like.
>
> I tried downloading vobcopy, and it's been running a couple
> of *days* trying to rip a two hour movie!

It should not take that long unless it is having a problem reading
the disk itself. (Too many scratches/cracks, etc...)

> Anyone here with experience ripping/copying DVDs using
> Linux?
>
> Not trying to give away or sell, just for personal use.
> Each time a DVD gets taken out of its case, there are
> microcracks and scratches. Wanna play the copies.
> This is in the USA.

I have had good luck with K9copy. It has the advantage of being able
to make the copy on single layer blanks. It is basically a front end
for a bunch of other programs.

http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/

Mikkel