what the f*ck (pardon my french)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:25:03 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic about X restarting unexpectedly:
> > No, I didn't do any updates at that time.
>
> And do you have any daemons that do updates automatically for you in the
> background?

I have Fedora Core 6 with its updatesd deamon running, and gnome tool,
but it just notifies me it doesn't install by it self.

And trust me it is not updates doing this. It is a key combination.

> > This happened to me a more than once, every time I tried to pull-up
> > Klipper menu (CTRL-ALT-V). But If I just do it now nothing happens!?!
> >
> > Do you have ANY idea what could that be?
>
> Something crashing X:  You might have to tell us what other applications
> you've been running at the time.  I don't use KDE or Klipper, so I have
> no idea about any problems with it.

I use gnome, but I can't work without proper clipboard manager - ie. klipper.

> A wonky keyboard sending the wrong codes:  Can you try another keyboard
> out?

This happened to me more in FC5 but it also happened a few times now
in FC6 and it is always when I try to full up klipper menu CTRL-ALT-V

I'm not aware that gnome CTRL-ALT-V combination has some function that
could cause this so I figgured that this doesn't happen every time
just because some times I miss letter "V" and press some other nearby
key. But when I try to press all combinations that I could press
instead of CTRL-ALT-V I don't get any effect, and not X restarting.

That is why I'm puzzled. I can't reproduce the restart every time, but
it DEFINITELLY happends ONLY when I try to press CTRL-ALT-V for
klipper to show it's menu.