RAID drive failed, but SMART shows no errors?

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Wed Mar 14 07:32:46 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Came up clean.  Nothing shown for LBA_first_err.  But the fact remains
> that the drive did err out.  smartctl -a shows "Elements in grown defect
> list: 3", so I suppose that it remapped 3 sectors.  I can't find
> anything in the output that tells me how many spare sectors are
> available for remapping.

If you take a look at:

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

you can see that if a drive have had sectors remapped, the likelihood
that the drive will fail within the next 60 days increase with a
factor 14.

>> Hm? If you have used the GUI to create the RAID partitions during
>> installation GRUB should be on both drives.
>
> No, I don't believe I used a GUI; I believe this was originally a text
> install.  grub-install takes a parameter, according to its man page.
> It's not clear, but I think that passing it /dev/sdb will install it to
> the second drive.  But, reading the man page's description of the
> --root-directory parameter muddled things a bit.  Not sure I understand
> its purpose.

Can't you do a:

grub-install /dev/md0

if md0 is your /boot partition?

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk