convert VHS to DVD

Bob Marcan bob.marcan at interstudio.homeunix.net
Wed Mar 14 09:11:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:38:48 -0600
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Colin Brace wrote:
> > On 3/10/07, Mick Mearns <off_by_1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have some older "store-bought" VHS tapes that I want to convert to
> >> DVD.
> >

> > This page might be of help:
> >
> > Converting VHS to DVD under Linux HOWTO
> > http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=307679
> >

> On a slightly different topic, my girlfriend has this problem
> as well, and also wants to copy several DVDs so she can wear
> out the copies rather than the originals. She bought some
> commercial software, DVDx I believe, which claims to do that,
> and which we tried to run under Wine. We hit some permissions
> problems it looks like.
>
> I tried downloading vobcopy, and it's been running a couple
> of *days* trying to rip a two hour movie!
>
> Anyone here with experience ripping/copying DVDs using
> Linux?
>
> Not trying to give away or sell, just for personal use.
> Each time a DVD gets taken out of its case, there are
> microcracks and scratches. Wanna play the copies.
> This is in the USA.
>
> Mike

dd if=/dev/dvd of=/var/tmp/dvdcopy.iso

then

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/var/tmp/dvdcopy.iso

Regards, Bob

 Bob Marcan, Consultant                mailto:bob.marcan at snt.si
 S&T Slovenija d.d.                    tel:   +386 (1) 5895-300
 Leskoskova cesta 6                    fax:   +386 (1) 5895-202
 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              url:   http://www.snt.si