Dell survey on which Linux they should offer

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 14 09:12:47 UTC 2007

Michael A Peters wrote:

> I expect the hardware I pay for to be fully functional in Linux. That's
> what matters to me, not what distro happens to be sitting on the hard
> drive when UPS drops it off.

I agree it doesn't matter too much for one and two laptops, but I can
imagine if you are dealing with 100 or 1000 like some of Dell's
customers it is a boost to get them preinstalled with your final OS.

But for me the most interesting thing for me is for the first time a
general purchaser will be able to buy a laptop without putting money in
Microsoft's pocket at all.  Up until now, even when you broke free of
Microsoft, you are forced to be a "taxpayer".  If Dell genuinely make
this a radiobutton on the main purchasing page AND deduct the specified
amount of "tax" money when you select it, that will be a wonderful
breakthrough.

The Vista decal from this new laptop looks good stuck next to the handle
on my toilet, but I would actually leave a tux decal on my laptop.

-Andy