Dell survey on which Linux they should offer

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Mar 14 09:40:19 UTC 2007

At 09:12 14/03/2007, you wrote:

>But for me the most interesting thing for me is for the first time a
>general purchaser will be able to buy a laptop without putting money
>in Microsoft's pocket at all.  Up until now, even when you broke
>free of Microsoft, you are forced to be a "taxpayer".  If Dell
>genuinely make this a radiobutton on the main purchasing page AND
>deduct the specified amount of "tax" money when you select it, that
>will be a wonderful breakthrough.

Don't want or intend to start another language war here, but I always
use the word "tribute" in association with the extra cost associated
with purchasing a computer:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute

The Wikipedia definitions seem pretty appropriate to me in this context.

>The Vista decal from this new laptop looks good stuck next to the
>handle on my toilet, but I would actually leave a tux decal on my laptop.
>
>-Andy

I think that's disrespectful to the toilet, which serves a useful
purpose. Better to apply it to one of those "safety camera"
supplementary tax collection vans that now infest our roadsides.

Dave