Mount new partition

Bruce Hyatt bjhyatt at myway.com
Wed Mar 14 14:04:10 UTC 2007

>--- On Wed 03/14, kalinix < calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com > wrote:

<SNIP>

> Bruce,first there is no need to reboot after creating a new partition
> withfdisk. After writing the partition table to disk and exiting
> fdisk, asimple partprobe would be enough to update the partition
> infos.But be aware that fdisk only create partition, not the
> filesystem on it.You need to do this manually, using mkfs.* (in your > casemkfs.* /dev/sda3) where * can be: vfat, ext2, ext3, xfs,
> reiserfs, ntfs,msdos, depending on what you need for your new
> partition.Only after that you can update /etc/fstab like this:
>
> /dev/sda3	/orardata1	auto	defaults
>
> In case that you need other mount options than default (see man
> mount)you may want to replace defaults with your own options.
>
> HTH,
> Calin

Thanks. That DOES help.

It's strange, I spent a few days' spare time studying my "Linux in a Nutshell" book, searching the LDP how-tos and google but I couldn't find a single explanation of the whole process. I had to try to piece together partitioning and mounting procedures. I saw a couple references to mkfs but I thought it was another way to create a partition which I had already done.

I suppose it may be that my shrinking spare time has also shrunk my attention span.

Bruce