gspcav1 driver problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:10:29 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > A few days ago a kernel update took out the gspcav1 driver and the
> > accompanying kmdl package.  At present the atrpms version can't be
> > installed:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 is needed by
> > package gspcav1-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
> >
> > Is a build for 2.6.19 kernels in the pipeline, or should I build from
> > source?
>
> You could possibly use the DKMS module from freshrpms.net and avoid this
> issue since DKMS auto builds against the new kernel on bootup. On the
> other hand DKMS would require compiler and related tools to be installed
> on your system.

That's not a problem - I've compiled other packages.  I don't understand,
though.  I thought dkms and kmdl were supposed to do much the same thing?
What exactly are they meant to do?  and how are they used?  Do I, for
instance, need gspcav1 and dkms-gspca, or is the second one a combination of
the two?  I don't see gspcav1 on the freshmeat list.  Previously I was using
gspcav1 and the accompanying kmdl from atrpms.

Anne