gspcav1 driver problems

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 14 19:13:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:20:58AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >A few days ago a kernel update took out the gspcav1 driver and the
> >accompanying kmdl package.  At present the atrpms version can't be
> >installed:
> >
> >Error: Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 is needed by
> >package gspcav1-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
> >
> >Is a build for 2.6.19 kernels in the pipeline, or should I build from
> >source?

It is already available since a coule of days at ATrpms. Either
install the yum-plugin-kmdl or simply do

yum install gspcav1-kmdl-`uname -r`

> You could possibly use the DKMS module from freshrpms.net and avoid this
> issue since DKMS auto builds against the new kernel on bootup. On the
> other hand DKMS would require compiler and related tools to be installed
> on your system.

And lacks reproducability in case the build went wrong, which makes
kernel module debbugging even more difficult.

(the main reason kernel folks at RH object to having kernel modules
packaged in any format whatsoever is the issues with dealing with user
bug reports on kernel/kernel modules)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net