Laptop recomendations

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Wed Mar 14 19:53:57 UTC 2007

Em Qua 14 Mar 2007, linuxmaillists at charter.net escreveu:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Also, when using LCD displays, configuring subpixel
> > hinting properly makes all the difference.
>
> What exactly are you talking about?

About this:
http://www.grc.com/cleartype.htm

Click on the link "How Sub-Pixel Font Rendering Works".

This makes a big difference in font rendering in LCD displays.
In KDE, you would set up subpixel hinting at Control Center -> Appearance &
Themes -> Fonts
Check "Use Anti-aliasing for fonts" and click the "Configure button"
However, for some reason, I don't get the best results configuring the
anti-aliasing in the GUI. So, I just create a file
named /etc/fonts/local.conf with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>