What does this message mean?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Mar 14 20:57:58 UTC 2007

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I have a whole stack of these messages in my Logwatch output:
>
>     crond[10012]: pam_loginuid(crond:session): set_loginuid failed opening
> loginuid: 1 Time(s)
>
> Thats cryptic enough that I havent a clue what it means.
> Anyone else seen it?
> Anyone know what its complaning about?

This refers to definitions set for for pam modules.

Examine: /etc/pam.d/login generally, and in this case: /etc/pam.d/crond
specifically.

Better check to make sure that /lib/security/pam_loginuid.so is ok.

It is part of the pam package, so checking the status of your pam
package might be in order.

It seems to me that you may have some trouble brewing ...

Good luck!