Laptop recomendations

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 15 01:12:18 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman:

linuxmaillists at charter.net:
> Can you explain this so it is clear as to what you are
> talking about?

A font "point" isn't an arbitrary or relative measurement, it's a real
world measurement, just like we have centimetres and inches, with an
exact meaning.  A 12pt font has a particular size, it should always be
that specific size, no matter whether drawn on screen or paper.

Conversely, a 12 pixel font is whatever size the pixels are, on
whatever's drawing the font.  That's going to be tiny on a 1280 by 1084
screen, and much bigger on 640 by 480 screen.

When a computer knows your DPI (dots per inch), it knows how many pixels
it takes to make something an inch in size.  It'll also know how many
dots make a centimetre, point, or any other real world measurement.
Now, it *can* render a 12 point font at its proper size.

Of course that presumes that the rendering engine was written by someone
knowing what they're doing, and not by an idiot who thinks that font
points are a scaling system to be rendered in no particular manner.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.