MODPOST undefined sybol warnings

lee nookx lnookx at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:58:10 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am playing with AODV as a routing protocol, and I am having some
trouble getting it to work. I am using the kernel AODV implementation,
which works fine on 2.4.x machines.

I am now trying to get it to run on 2.6 kernels. I have managed to
compile the module for another machine running a 2.6.11 kernel, but I
can't seem to compile it for a 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-i686 kernel.

One of the problems I am having is that I am getting the error:

MODPOST
WARNING: "ip_rt_ioctl" [/home/lnookx/kernel-aodv/aodv.ko] undefined!

This function seems to allow me to add or delete the routing entries
into the kernels routing table.

Have they been deprecated on recent kernels?

I can see the entry in my kernel includes
(/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-i686/include/net/route.h), but not
in my user includes (/usr/include/net/route.h)

I know these symbols are in my kernel:

[lnookx at tomcat ~]# cat /proc/kallsyms | grep ip_rt_ioctl
c05d4b7e T ip_rt_ioctl

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

--lee