Downloader similar to Kget for Firefox

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Mar 15 17:47:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:42, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > KDE's Konquerors default downloader is terrible. You lose the Internet
> > connection, or have a power out, and you've lost the download. Kget
> > doesn't have these problems. I can cut the connection to the Internet,
> > then reconnect, and Kget will continue with the download where it left
> > off. Same goes if I get a power outage.
> >
> > With Firefox you can pause the download, as long as you still have an
> > Internet connection, then resume it, but if you lose your Internet
> > connection, or suffer a power outage you lose all the download with no
> > way to resume.
> >
> > I'm on dialup, so losing 120MB of a 121MB download is not funny. And
> > having to start from scratch is annoying to say the least.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any program similar to Kget that will work with
> > Firefox?
>
> Gwget with the Firefox extension? It is in Fedora Extras
>
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gwget/
>
> Rahul

Thanks for the reply Rahul. I dl'd the tarball from the link, but couldn't
build it on FC2. It needed later versions of the dependencies. I'll try it
from extras in FC5 later on.

Marcelo's suggestion of the flashgot extension though has worked on FC2, and
now I can download with resume support using Firefox, and KDE's Kget.

I'll post back later to confirm that gwget works ok on FC5.

Nigel.