please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 15 18:32:26 UTC 2007

I have been running FC6 on an x86_64 box for several months and have a
problem.

Normally I have a script which cd's to an image directory hierarchy and
starts xv with a visual schnauzer to display the thumbnails.  Then I
pick out my current favorite, send it to the root screen and exit.

However under FC6, this no longer works - unless xv is brought up with
the "-root" option, when you bring up the "xv controls" box, everything
except window is greyed out and cannot be selected.  (If you use the
'-root' option then it works as expected, and all root options are
selectable.

Up through FC5 on x86, this worked fine, but I got the x86_64 box only
a few days before I moved to FC6, and I don't remember whether I ever
tried xv under FC5 on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this one?  I have redone the build
for x86_64 (same problem remains) and none of the x86 versions work
correctly on this either.  It is not a permissions problem, because the
same thing occurs for root as well as for my normal login.

I went through the code, and nothing obvious popped out at me, so any
suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.  (It's minor, I know
- but small things tend to sit there and annoy me until I do something
about them...)

The options +/-noresetroot don't seem to have any affect, and of course
the +root option does not help at all.

FWIW, I did try reading the manuals and all the other docs - all with
not luck. :-(

I realize that xv doesn't appear to have been maintained for several
years (that I can tell, anyway), and I have tried other programs.  If
anyone knows of another image-manager/manipulator which can use the
.xvpic directory thumbnails (or has a similar capability) I'd be glad
to try it and possibly switch.  I have tried a few, but with an
astronomy image collection of > 10 GB, I don't really like the programs
which generate the thumbnails on the fly - they take far too long
overall.

Thanks,
- Bill
william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."