Evolution and Seahorse playing together

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 20:45:56 UTC 2007

On 15/03/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 10:30 +0100, Markus Lindholm wrote:
> >> I have an up to date FC6 system where I've setup evolution and
> >> seahorse so that I can sign and encrypt my letters and it works
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> Now I've run across a case where I need to encrypt a letter with a
> >> key that don't match the e-mail address in the To: field. I can't
> >> find a way to manually override the assumptions that evolution
> >> makes about which keys to use nor have I found a way to add an
> >> additional e-mail address to the key in seahorse.
> >
> > One option to try - write the message to an address that is
> > associated with that key, add the other address as a second address
> > to post to.
> >
> > But, I'd say the best option is to get the person you're posting to,
> > to add their other addresses to their key, then re-import their key.
>
> Another possible work-around might be adding an alias for the key in
> the gpg config (~/.gnupg/gpg.conf).  You can do this using the group
> option.  There's an example in the config file and some documentation
> in the man/info page.  Something like this is what I'm thinking:
>
> group address_NOT_on_key at example.com = address_on_key at example.com
>
> It may also be worth asking on any seahorse list or filing an RFC to
> allow you to modify the list of keys used.

Thanks, the group definition solved my case.

Isn't it more of an Evolution issue? Shouldn't it give more control to
the user? I mean even if it finds a perfect match it would be nice if
it would show a dialog after pressing the send button saying something
like 'You're about to send this letter signed with this key and
encrypted with this key. Would you like to add/remove some keys?'

/markus