please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Mar 15 21:50:30 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 13:04 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> Correct, xv is not relevant any more.
>> And yes, I was a fan of xv for years, but that was many years ago,
>> now. :)
>>

> I don't know why xv is not relevant. It works more easily to display
> images, change image coding, manipulate sizes, crop, etc that anything
> else I have seen.

As you stated, there has been no development on xv for years now.  That
alone makes it irrelevant.  But here are some more reasons:

1. No support for 'Desktop' controls.  Only supports the X root window.
2. Antiquated user interface.
3. Newer tools may be superior, although not as comprehensive; ie:
gthumb, eyeofgnome (eog), comix, eqview, mirage, etc.
    see:
http://fedoraproject.org/extras/6/i386/repodata/repoview/graphics.group.html
for more.
4. xv is not maintained as an rpm (that I know of)

xv had its day, and I regret its passing, but in my most humble opinion,
it has surely passed.

Have Fun!