please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Mar 15 22:40:48 UTC 2007

On 15Mar2007 15:50, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
| Aaron Konstam wrote:
| >On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 13:04 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
| >>Correct, xv is not relevant any more.
| >>And yes, I was a fan of xv for years, but that was many years ago,
| >>now. :)
| >>
| >I don't know why xv is not relevant. It works more easily to display
| >images, change image coding, manipulate sizes, crop, etc that anything
| >else I have seen.
|
| As you stated, there has been no development on xv for years now.  That
| alone makes it irrelevant.

That is a non sequitur. I use xv routinely to view images. It is fast to
load, VERY easy to use, has the nice shnauser tool etc. "cat" doesn't
get much development either.

| But here are some more reasons:
| 1. No support for 'Desktop' controls.  Only supports the X root window.

Not everyone uses a "desktop" tool. I don't.

I use fvwm-root to set wallpaper images though, as it sets the property a
lot of pseudo-transparent terminals honour.

| 2. Antiquated user interface.

Yet faster and _easier_ than many recent tools.

| 3. Newer tools may be superior, although not as comprehensive; ie:

Hmm, an oxymoron too! Yay.

| 4. xv is not maintained as an rpm (that I know of)

It's shareware, not freeware or GPL. The standard repositories won't
carry it. It's easy to build and has several handy patches.

| xv had its day, and I regret its passing, but in my most humble opinion,
| it has surely passed.

I trust you've abandoned the command line too then.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Everyone wants to be different; most people just aren't very good at it.
        - Tim_Mefford <tvm at teleport.com>