Setup of PPPoA on FC6

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Fri Mar 16 10:00:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 08:40 -0500, Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 11:29 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> > 	Hello again, this is my first post in a couple of years and have
> > recently upgraded to FC6.
> >
> > 	I am setting up an ADSL connection in to a Speedstream4200 router. The
> > connection from the router to the ISP is good. Through the logs I can
> > see that it is giving an IP address through DHCP.  I am using 2 NICs and
> > eth1 connects to the router.  I cannot seem to get the connection
> > working.  I have created a DSL device in network configuration and also
> > used adsl-setup which created a ppp0 device, but neither work.  From
> > various googlings I have run these with iptables on and off but to no
> > avail.
>
> it sound like you don't need to configure an adsl interface on your
> linux box as that is already taken care of by your speedstream.  you
> just need to configure a regular ethernet connection with dhcp so your
> box will pull a dynamic address from your adsl router.
>

> internet <---adsl---> speedstream <---regular ethernet ---> linux box

	That is what I thought.  However, when bringing up the DSL device
(called it BigPond), it times out, as does the device created by
adsl-setup.

[root at NEC ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface BigPond:  /sbin/adsl-start: line 214:  4367
Terminated              $CONNECT "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1
                                                           [FAILED]
[root at NEC ~]#

	Both eth1 and BigPond devices are set to DHCP and the router is giving
an address in the 10.0.0.* range, its address is 10.0.0.138 and can
access it using Mozilla to view its logs also.

	Is it something in the network device setup, or is the firewall
interfering?

Regards
Simon Slater.