please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Mar 15 23:12:02 UTC 2007

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 15Mar2007 15:50, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> | Aaron Konstam wrote:
> | >>
> | >I don't know why xv is not relevant. It works more easily to display
> | >images, change image coding, manipulate sizes, crop, etc that anything
> | >else I have seen.
> |
> | As you stated, there has been no development on xv for years now.  That
> | alone makes it irrelevant.
>
> That is a non sequitur. I use xv routinely to view images. It is fast to
> load, VERY easy to use, has the nice shnauser tool etc. "cat" doesn't
> get much development either.
>
> | But here are some more reasons:
> | 1. No support for 'Desktop' controls.  Only supports the X root window.
>
> Not everyone uses a "desktop" tool. I don't.
>
> I use fvwm-root to set wallpaper images though, as it sets the property a
> lot of pseudo-transparent terminals honour.

A purist you may be, but there are advantages to Gnome, and KDE,
although the resource requirements do seem to get higher and higher.
> | 2. Antiquated user interface.
>
> Yet faster and _easier_ than many recent tools.

Perhaps, but xv is not something that I would recommend to anyone any more.
> | 3. Newer tools may be superior, although not as comprehensive; ie:
>
> Hmm, an oxymoron too! Yay.

The old saying that 'UNIX users do it with small modular tools' rings
true here.  Using more than one tool to mess with images is appropriate
to the functionality desired.
> | 4. xv is not maintained as an rpm (that I know of)
>
> It's shareware, not freeware or GPL. The standard repositories won't
> carry it. It's easy to build and has several handy patches.
>
> | xv had its day, and I regret its passing, but in my most humble opinion,
> | it has surely passed.
>
> I trust you've abandoned the command line too then.

Haha, funny you should say that.  More than 25 years of CLI for me, and
punchcards and teletype before that.

I first saw xv when I was asked to build it on SUNOS in -- hmmm for sure
1991 but possibly earlier.  If my memory holds, that was SUNOS 4.0.3C.

When xv went dark, I moved on.

% gthumb .

Works for me!