Setup of PPPoA on FC6

Simon Slater pyevet at aapt.net.au
Fri Mar 16 10:29:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 18:09 -0500, Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 21:00 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:

> > > it sound like you don't need to configure an adsl interface on your
> > > linux box as that is already taken care of by your speedstream.  you
> > > just need to configure a regular ethernet connection with dhcp so your
> > > box will pull a dynamic address from your adsl router.
> > >

> > > internet <---adsl---> speedstream <---regular ethernet ---> linux box
> >
> > 	That is what I thought.  However, when bringing up the DSL device
> > (called it BigPond), it times out, as does the device created by
> > adsl-setup.
> >
> > [root at NEC ~]# /etc/init.d/network restart
> > Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> > Shutting down interface eth1:                              [  OK  ]
> > Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> > Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> > Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
> > Bringing up interface eth1:                                [  OK  ]
> > Bringing up interface BigPond:  /sbin/adsl-start: line 214:  4367
> > Terminated              $CONNECT "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1
> >                                                            [FAILED]
> > [root at NEC ~]#
> >
> > 	Both eth1 and BigPond devices are set to DHCP and the router is giving
> > an address in the 10.0.0.* range, its address is 10.0.0.138 and can
> > access it using Mozilla to view its logs also.
> >
> > 	Is it something in the network device setup, or is the firewall
> > interfering?
>
> i don't think you need to set up a dsl device on your linux box.  try
> deleting that device.  the ethernet card should do all the communicating
> from your speedstream to your box.  the speedstream should do all the
> adsl stuff.
>
> after you have only the ethernet device on your linux box, do ifconfig
> and see if you've obtained an ip address.

Thanks Anthony,
	I think I see what you mean.  The router has the username/password for
the ISP account programmed in, so a network device is not needed.  This
box is at another location so I won't be able to work on this for a
couple of hours, but will reply later with (good) news.

	Just to clarify, or display my ignorance, when a browser requests a
site, the ISP & DNS will be found through /etc/hosts, if not
then /etc/resolv.conf and then to the eth1 device to the router and
beyond?

Regards
Simon