Setup of PPPoA on FC6

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Mar 15 23:52:12 UTC 2007

Simon Slater wrote:

> Thanks Anthony,
> 	I think I see what you mean.  The router has the username/password for
> the ISP account programmed in, so a network device is not needed.  This
> box is at another location so I won't be able to work on this for a
> couple of hours, but will reply later with (good) news.
>
> 	Just to clarify, or display my ignorance, when a browser requests a
> site, the ISP & DNS will be found through /etc/hosts, if not
> then /etc/resolv.conf and then to the eth1 device to the router and
> beyond?
>
> Regards
> Simon

One thing to keep in mind - a lot of these modem/routers remember
the MAC address of the first device to connect to them, so you may
have to power it down, wait 60 seconds, and power it back up. Then
try connecting with the Linux box. (Or tell the Linux box to fake
the specific MAC address the modem expects.)

Mikkel