please help: xv on FC6 x86_64 won't set root window

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Fri Mar 16 10:24:55 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 13:04 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Correct, xv is not relevant any more.
>>> And yes, I was a fan of xv for years, but that was many years ago,
>>> now. :)
>>>

>> I don't know why xv is not relevant. It works more easily to display
>> images, change image coding, manipulate sizes, crop, etc that anything
>> else I have seen.
>>

> As you stated, there has been no development on xv for years now.  That
> alone makes it irrelevant.  But here are some more reasons:

The main reason xv is dead is because the author refused to GPL the
code. That's a shame, because xv was really good at certain things, even
compared to today's tools. I particularly loved the printing features.
Had the code been open, xv probably would have grown to be one of
today's top graphics software, right there with gimp and al.