Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

jim tate mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 16 13:55:04 UTC 2007

Stefan Held wrote:
> Am 16.03.2007 13:38 Uhr schrieb "Timothy Murphy" unter
> <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie>:
>

>> Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
>> and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.
>>

> Yes, this is what is called a stable Version of Ubuntu.
>

>> The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
>> also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.
>>

> Which is also a Stable Release of Knoppix
>

>> I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
>> and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.
>>

> I downloaded both, DVD and CD Torrent of F7 Test 1 and 2.
>
> Both worked like a charm on my machine.
>

>> I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
>> but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
>> nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.
>>

> I did not answer but yes, it worked for me.
>

>> In my experience there is something basically wrong
>> with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
>> as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.
>>

> Why should it? Did you verify the sha1 summs of your download?
>
> Did you test the same CD on a bunch of identical Machines/CD Drives?
>
> Did you try to burn the CD with 4x speed only? Then test again?

Well you are definitely doing something wrong, I have downloaded a
number CD's, DVD's of fedora 5,6,7 test 1,2 and burn and run them with
no problems.
Is this just a excuse to go to ubuntu?
I hold Linux meeting once a month and the Ubuntu people are spreading
the FUD around that Fedora is a bleeding edge, unstable, distro, these
guys are beginning to sound like $MS people.
Fedora 5, 6 , I have installed both and did updates on a number of
boxes, i386, X86_64 and had no problems.
Fedora comes out with a kernel update more often the other distro's ,
that could cause problems.
After you have done your first update, after installation, don't update
the kernel anymore, put a line in /etc/yum.conf
exclude=kernel .
The kernel only needs to be updated if you have need for new drivers.

Jim