Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 01:07:48 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded and burnt the Ubuntu Live CD (6.06),
> and it worked like perfectly on the 4 machines I tried it on.
>
> The rather ancient version of Knoppix I have
> also works perfectly on all the machines I have tried it on.
>
> I downloaded and burnt the Fedora-7 Test Live CD some time ago,
> and this does not boot on any machine I've tried it on.

"Fedora-7 Test Live CD"
Your problem is the word "Test" in there.  Why do people expect
testing releases to work perfectly?  How about comparing with the
Fedora Core 6 Live CD before bashing Fedora for not working.

> I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had successfully booted from this CD,
> but I only got advice on how to test the CD;
> nobody replied that they had actually got it to work.

Did you try the test list, rather than here?

> In my experience there is something basically wrong
> with the CD reading part of Fedora CDs,
> as many people report problems installing Fedora this way.

When I installed F7T1, I had to manually load a kernel module for it
to read the DVD.  This was a known problem with the nv_sata (I think)
module not getting loaded automatically.  What hardware did you test
this on?

Jonathan