yum update -> Missing Dependency for libdevmapper.so.1.02 (FC5)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:29:08 UTC 2007

On 18/03/07, J.Moore wrote:

> [root at aria jamoore]# rpm --query --whatprovides  libdevmapper.so.1.02
> [root at aria jamoore]# rpm --query device-mapper
> device-mapper-1.02.13-1.fc5
>
> Judging from the package name ending in .fc5, I'd guess this is
> *supposed* to be compatible with FC5.

Yes, it's the latest device-mapper update from January. But it doesn't
provide the needed "things". Smells a bit like your RPM database might
be damaged.

$ rpm --query --provides device-mapper
libdevmapper.so.1.02
libdevmapper.so.1.02(Base)
device-mapper = 1.02.13-1.fc5

You could reinstall the package (e.g. with the old version from your
CD/DVD). For example:

$ sudo rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs --replacefiles
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/fedora-core/updates/5/i386/device-mapper-1.02.13-1.fc5.i386.rpm