Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:34:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:55 -0400, jim tate wrote:

> Is this just a excuse to go to ubuntu?
> I hold Linux meeting once a month and the Ubuntu people are spreading
> the FUD around that Fedora is a bleeding edge, unstable, distro, these
> guys are beginning to sound like $MS people.

No kidding, and it is sure getting really really old.

> Fedora 5, 6 , I have installed both and did updates on a number of
> boxes, i386, X86_64 and had no problems.
> Fedora comes out with a kernel update more often the other distro's ,
> that could cause problems.
> After you have done your first update, after installation, don't update
> the kernel anymore, put a line in /etc/yum.conf
> exclude=kernel .
> The kernel only needs to be updated if you have need for new drivers.

The only times I have ever had problems was with an upgrade. That is to
be expected at times, where there are enough major upgrades of packages
within the newer version. The Ubuntu disciples are becoming pretty
aggressive about coming into this discussion group with an agenda. It's
the poorest form of marketing to attack your competitor. Very very poor
form. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net