Unable to boot latest kernel.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Mar 19 21:08:49 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Last night I updated FC6 and got a new kernel. It will not boot: it
> gets to the VMWare stage and sticks there.

Do you have dkms installed and trying to build a new vmware module or
something?

> I could boot my old kernel (2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6), so I have a
> working system, but I thought that the list should know.

Try to disable the vmware service from starting and see if you can
boot then.  Do this as root to disable vmware from starting:

chkconfig vmware off

After you can boot into the new kernel, try running the vmware config
program and let it build new modules (or attempt to, the process may
fail and that'd be a separate issue).

> Should I file a bug?

Not with the fedora bugzilla unless the problem happens when vmware
isn't in the mix. :)

The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom.
    -- Justice William O. Douglas