Ubuntu 1, Fedora 0

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Tue Mar 20 11:20:04 UTC 2007

Brian Porter <brian at miatar.org> writes:

> I can see why Ubuntu is gaining popularity.

> I recently tried Ubuntu
> 6.10's desktop and server installations on my lab systems and was
> extremely impressed. Ubuntu's installation is an absolute BREEZE
> compared to Fedora Core 5/6. With Fedora, I've had installer problems
> with virtually every single Fedora install

Quite a lot of people have the opposite experience. The Ubuntu install disc
hangs on kernel boot, requiring a load of kernel parameters such as noacpi,
noapic, nowhatever to even boot.

I tried the supposedly stable Ubuntu 6.06 LTS that they sent via ShipIt,
and it froze during kernel boot. Not only on one machine, but on all
machines that I tried it on. While Fedora always worked. As you can see, I
would rather be unimpressed at the QA of Ubuntu, and impressed with Fedora
for the same reason.

It's nice that Ubuntu works for you. It doesn't work for everyone though,
just like Fedora. The average level of impression should be about the
same.

Regards
Ingemar