Recipe for Li-Ion battery longevity

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:35:09 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The issue I think is this. Some types of batteries have memory in the
> sense if you change them when they are half charged they will henceforth
> only discharge halfway. Batteries generally put in laptops and cell
> phones (LI-Ion) this fault as far as I know and therefore they can be
> discharged and charged at will. Also it is my belief that the circuitry
> in these devices will not allow over charging.

Please read the Wikipedia article on Li-Ion batteries. It is quite
informative and well referenced. What you describe is characteristic
of Ni-Cad batteries.
In summary, the tips to keeping a healthy Li-Ion battery are:
- Use them new ... don't keep spares as they start aging as soon as
they are manufactured
- Don't completely deeply discharge them as it may kill them but
partial cycling is fine
- Store them with partial charge rather than at full charge
- Store them in the cold (but well above -40deg)
- Read your owners manual
- Do not eat :]

(OK ... maybe I made up those last two ... but they are good advice anyways)

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion