xen kernel

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 20 21:29:07 UTC 2007

Jeff Mutonho wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>> Jeff Mutonho wrote:
>> > Does FC6 Anakonda install the xen kernel by default?The kernel running
>> > on my machine is
>> > kernel-xen-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.i686
>> >

>> If you choose virtualization during the installation, the xen kernel
>> will be installed as default. Otherwise, the normal kernel should be
>> chosen. I do however have a system which chose the pae kernel version as
>> default.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Is the xen kernel slower?I want to uninstall and replace it with a
> normal kernel , how would I go about it?
>
> Jeff  Mutonho
> Cape Town
> South Africa
>
> GoogleTalk : ejbengine
> Skype        : ejbengine
> Registered Linux user number 366042

I do think that the xen kernel would be slower since it would need to
appropriate memory for your guest installations on your machine. I do
not know if it has overhead without guest OSes or not though. Someone
more familiar with xen might know the overhead aspects.

Regarding installing a normal kernel version, 'yum install kernel'
should put the regular kernel onto your system. If you want the devel
package also, you would also choose the kernel-devel package to install.

Jim

--
Q:	Why don't lawyers go to the beach?
A:	The cats keep trying to bury them.