DNS resolution problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Mar 21 10:04:06 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> 'twas my experience that things like DHCP configured interfaces would
> get the DHCP discovered DNS servers inserted above my DNS server
> addresses, by default.  Of course you can configure things to not add in
> DNS server addresses, but that's something that you have to organise,
> yourself.

Well, he can just cat /etc/resolv.conf and see if that is the situation
or not.

One dirty hack tip I have on that, if you decide you will be managing
/etc/resolv.conf by hand and everything else can just butt out, edit it
how you like and then

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

will make everything else bounce off when it tries to mess it up for
you.  use chattr -i ... to be able to edit it again.

-Andy