"Nothing to be done for bzImage..."

Jeff Mutonho ejbengine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:44:13 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
> > Jeff Mutonho wrote:
> >> I got the message "Nothing to be done for bzImage..."  during an
> >> attempt to do a kernel rebuild on an FC6 machine.This happened when I
> >> tried to do a "make bzImage"
> >>
> >> Thereafter "make install' failed with a message saying something about
> >> "vmlinuz" missing.
> >> What could be the problem?
> >>

> > There is a file called README in the top level of the kernel sources.
> >
> > % grep make README
> >
> > always shows the same sequence for building a kernel
> >
> > make mrproper or make oldconfig
> > make (choose configurator)
> > make
> > sudo make modules_install install
> >
> > Examination of the makefile should show that there is not a target called
> > bzImage.
>
> But there used to be.  Sounds like someone either has old instructions or
> has not upgraded their memories on kernel building.

Alright , that maybe the case.I followed instructions from the book
Redhat Fedora 5 Unleashed(Andrew and Paul Hudson) , which says :

6. Modify the kernel configuration file using make config, make
menuconfig, or make xconfigwe recommend the latter, but read the text
following these numbered instructions for more details

7. Run make dep to create the code dependencies used later in the
compilation process.

8. Run make clean to prepare the sources for the actual compilation of
the kernel.

9. Run make bzImage to create a binary image of the kernel.

10. Run make modules to compile any modules your new kernel needs.

11. Run make modules_install to install the modules in /lib/modules
and create dependency files.

12. Run make install to automatically copy the kernel to /boot, create
any other files it needs, and modify the bootloader to boot the new
kernel by default.

13. Using your favorite text editor, verify the changes made to
/etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf; fix if necessary and rerun
/sbin/lilo if needed.

14. Reboot and test the new kernel.

So what's the correct way of doing this?Or where can I read about it then?