kernel-devel-i586

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 20:37:14 UTC 2007

Alexander Boström said the following on 03/21/2007 12:45 PM Pacific Time:
> ons 2007-03-21 klockan 09:25 -0700 skrev John Poelstra:
>> If I am running the a i686 kernel, why do I get a kernel-devel with i586 in the name?  My guess is it doesn't matter, but wondering why they aren't the same?
>>
>> #uname -a
>> Linux hostname 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Mar 10 19:15:16 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm not sure you can trust the output of uname to tell you what kernel
> you're running. I seem to recall it being i686 even on an i586 kernel,
> if the CPU is i686. Or am I wrong?
>
> More info about why you'd get an i586 kernel and a fix for the problem
> here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common#head-e0676100ebd965b92fbaa7111097983a3822f143
>
> /abo

I have the opposite problem described in that link, but it may be worth trying.
I could be running x86_64 kernel, but am not for now...

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2793.220
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 3
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips        : 5589.23
clflush size    : 64

processor       : 1
[...]
bogomips        : 5586.05