emacs problem

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Thu Mar 22 00:30:29 UTC 2007

Le Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:00:25 +0530,
François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr> a écrit :

I fear I do not have any solutions, but only comments that "everything
works".

> 1- Clipboard: it seems that there is a specific clipboard for Emacs
> under Fedora/Gnome; I am unable to copy something from any other
> application and paste it in emacs. It is always the last thing
> copied/cut *in* emacs which is pasted in emacs whatever you could have
> selected and copied in other windows (say: terminal, acroread...)

I use FC6 and I see no problem in copy-paste from/to emacs.  I select
text using the mouse in a terminal then I paste it in emacs' scratch
pad using the middle mouse button.  Same with open office, sylpheed,
etc..  With the pdf viewer there's a special function to select text.
Once this function is used, then I can paste the copied text im emacs
using Ctrl-Ins.

I must say that I compile my own emacs that I've picked up sometime ago
(about 2 years) at the cvs on Savannah.  It reports to be of the
22.0.51.1 variety.  I compile it using no special switches, just a
simple configure, make bootstrap, make install.

> 2- The dead key circumflex/trema of my french keyboard is not working
> in Emacs: the sequence ^a doesn't give â but a (same with ^e,^i,...).

I do not use a French kybd, but a German one.  Nevertheless, the French
accentuated letters are all available in emacs, as well as when doing
copy-paste from other apps.  In fact, I reguarly write text in emacs
and copy-paste it in Windows' Outlook running in vmware.

Cordialement.