Question on running Fedora on Apple PPC

Bram Van Steenlandt bulkmail at diomedia.be
Thu Mar 22 18:25:03 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam schreef:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 20:28 -0500, Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>
>> The machine has 256mb of ram. Someone here on the list suggested that
>> I check and make sure that a swap partition had been created during
>> the
>> install. I would have to re-install fedora to know for sure. I might
>> try
>> re-installing Fedora on the weekend, and set the partitions manually,
>> instead auto like I normally do. In order to give you a better
>> description of how the machine acts when I try and run Fedora on it,
>> I'm
>> sure most of you have encountered a windows based machine that's
>> infested with viruses and spyware. You know how when you go to
>> minimize
>> a program on an infested pc, the window will slowly scroll down the
>> screen? That's a good description on how the machine acts. To me, it
>> acts like it's bogged down.
>> Hope this helps.
>> Thanks
>> Jim
>>
> I am not sure what you are saying. fdisk will tell you if you have a
> swap partition as will the contents of /etc/fstab. free will tell you if
> it is working. If not swapon will get it to work, top will tell you how
> bogged sown the machine is as will uptime. top will also tell you what
> processes are running and how much of the resources you are using. The
> that 256mb is a little on the low side for RAM.

Hi,

I have a G4 1,2Ghz with 700 MB RAM, the machine performs a little bit
like a slow celeron or a via epia.
If you want to get some speed out of it I suggest running xfce instead
of gnome.
The G4 is absolutely fast under OSX but under linux it is slow.
It is off course only 1,2 Ghz wich isn't much these days.
I'm not sure if linux/fedora uses all the options apple uses (velocity
engine etc.)

kind regards