Program comparison for a no-talent artist ??

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 19:22:56 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> I am asking for experienced peoples opinion on whether going from using
> the Gimp to learning InkScape is likely to be worth the amount of work I
> would have to put in.  I.e., having learnt some of Gimp will it be
> equally as difficult learning to the same level, how to use InkScape?
>
> All opinions will be welcomed.

Inkscape and Gimp have different applications. Gimp is used for
creating and editing raster graphics. Inkscape is used for creating
and editing vector graphics. With Inkscape, you can render your vector
graphics into raster graphics of a certain resolution though. You can
do the reverse too and take a raster image and fit vector elements to
it. For simple images, it works quite well.

So if you need to make vector graphics (which a logo would be a good
example of), then Inkscape is what you need to learn. I found it
pretty easy to use. Some of the property names were not intuitive but
once you get the new terminology down, it is used consistently. There
are some concepts that you learned in Gimp that will transfer over to
Inkscape but they have somewhat different layouts and means of working
with the canvas.

They both have very good help files and the Inkscape help files and
tutorials are actually made in Inkscape and are SVG files so you can
see what the elements are made of and play with them right in the
tutorial. I thought that was very illuminating.

/Mike