How to play an audio CD?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:11:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> You might want to use the application called "audacious" instead of xmms.
> It's almost identical in usage and appearance:
>
>    yum -y install audacious
>
> Once installed, launch the application (should create a menu entry in your
> KDE and Gnome menus).  When it loads, press ALT-C to bring up the CD player
> -or-, right click the titlebar, go to playback, then "Play CD".
>
> A few things also:
> 1) Check if there's a cable running from your CD player to your
> motherboard. If there's a cable then the CD should play through directly to
> your soundcard.  If it's not there, then you'll need to do as Anne
> suggested and use the extraction method. This is not usually desirable
> since it requires more CPU.
>
> 2) If you don't get sound, check your ALSA sound levels by running kmix or
> the gnome mixer (forget the name). You should have a speaker icon on your
> desktop also, similar to the Windows volume control.

I have the same problems with audacious as I do with xmms - it doesn't
recognise the existence of any audio cd, in either of my drives (I haven't
yet found where you can tell it which drive to use, although in xmms I have,
and it made no difference).

The additional problem is that I need double-size display.  Selecting that
gives me double-size, but the window doesn't resize, and nor does it allow
manual re-sizing, so I can only see one quarter of the display.

If you have any solutions for either of these, I'd be glad to hear them.

Anne