How to configure printing on FC6

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Mar 23 12:46:13 UTC 2007

lanas wrote:

>   My idea is: wouldn't it be more user friendly to simply launch
> quietly the CUPS server in the first place if it's not running instead
> of having the user find out (hopefully successfully) about server
> parameters and services ?

I don't think so,
assuming that by "quietly" you mean "without telling the user".
I don't see why it should not simply say something like
"CUPS does not appear to be running",
perhaps with a button to "Start CUPS now".

I don't like programs that take steps like this
without telling me.
I'm currently trying to find who or what is modifying
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* on my laptop.
(I've just started running pyinotify to this end.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366