Changing machine's name

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Mar 24 13:40:55 UTC 2007

"Paul Smith" <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> After today's updates, the command line is
>
> [psmith at unknown-00-14-85-38-2c-93 ~]$
>
> and before it was
>
> [psmith at mypc ~]$
>
> How can I replace unknown-00-14-85-38-2c-93 with mypc?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul
Looks like a DHCP assigned host name.  You may just need
DHCP_HOSTNAME=mypc in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  I
don't see anything in today's update that should have messed with the
machine name but a reboot to pick up the new kernel could have your
system hitting the DHCP server to get it's IP address, etc.

The default hostname on install is localhost.localdomain so
unknown-00-14-85-38-2c-93 looks like it was assigned.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce