Can you click on a desktop icon and play a .wav as well as starting the app?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Mar 24 19:08:37 UTC 2007

On Saturday 24 March 2007 19:13, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:58:42 +0100
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > would like to
> > find a fix for the machine that has the Ensoniq card.
>
> What kind of a fix do you have in mind?  If the soundcard is physically
> incable of playing the audio that you want played, then I don 't see what
> you can fix.
>
> You could check the status of /dev/dsp somehow and if it returns busy then
> don't play the sound effect, I suppose, but that doesn't achieve the action
> that you want, i.e. play a sound effect before starting some application.

Well I can start Opera on the launcher as "aoss opera", then going to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 can listen to Internet radio, which uses the
BBC's radioplayer, which is using Realplayer (an OSS app). I can if I want
to, also run MhWaveedit, and play some .ogg music file, and listen to both at
the same time.

The problem I have is that "play", or "aplay" will not play the soundfile if
another audio app is already running, but as I've said, I will ask on the
Alsa-user list, as there may well be a fix.

There's often some workaround, but if not that's just life I suppose.

Nigel.