Double summer time?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:00:57 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>

>> This is why one really wants to run the pc in UTC.
>>

> I've never really understood this question asked during installation:
> "Does your computer use UTC" (or something like that).
> How does one determine the answer?

Make sure you know what UTC stands for: Universal Time, Coordinated.

By international convention, UTC is the old Greenwich Mean Time (or
Greenwich Meridian Time), /unchanged/ for summer rules. Today GMT means
strictly "British standard time" and is the time observed in London,
England, during the winter. During the summer London moves its clocks an
hour ahead, and calls this time British Summer Time.

In order to avoid confusion, the GMT by "winter time rules" is now
called UTC. That's a time that will never change.

I use UTC on all of my Linux systems. The management of the offsets is
simply easier.

Temlakos

PS: For any of you who are US Military, UTC = Zulu time. I can't speak
for Irish Republican convention, or for those of Her Majesty's Navy.