Apache public_html question

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Mon Mar 26 13:24:24 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Don Russell wrote:
>> Maybe I'll just defer this project a couple of months until FC7....
>> how easy is it to reinstall php so it has mysql support in it?
>
> yum install php-mysql
>
> Mogens

It cannot be much simpler than that. :-) So, I did that and some things
were installed.

I guess there are still some buttons to push because this line still
causes the php gape to die...
    function_exists('mysql_connect') or die('mysql functions are not
available from php');

and a page that only has
    <?php phpinfi(); ?>

still shows ... --without=mysql

However, rebooting the machine solved the first problem: function
"mysql_connect" must be defined now, but the other indicator remains...
a bit misleading, but appears to be irrelevant.

Now, I get as far as:
if (false === ($dbh = mysql_connect('localhost',$uid,$pwd))) {
    die("Can't connect to mySQL database: ".mysql_error());
}

and sure enough, results in:
Can't connect to mySQL database: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I was expecting an error like "incorrect userid/password or something...
but not this...

Is this a SELinux thing preventing a connection even from the same machine?