Where are file associations set/stored?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Mar 26 23:25:08 UTC 2007

On 26Mar2007 11:27, List Mail <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
| Where does FC6 store file associations?

Depends on the app. Mailcap is supposed to be the main place, but a lot of
GUIs doesn't use it. But fortunately...

| I want to change the association of xv with jpg files which seems to
| be the default as my system tried to run xv when I attempted to view a
| jpg file from within mutt.

Your app is mutt. It uses your .mailcap file. Mine says:

  image/jpeg; ah %s -end xv; gui
  image/jpeg; noui iminfo %s; copiousoutput
  image/pjpeg; ah %s -1 xv; gui
  image/pjpeg; noui iminfo %s; copiousoutput

Which runs "iminfo" (a small script that runs jhead etc) for text
display and "xv" inside my "ah" script for the attachment display.

Make yourself a "~/.mailcap" file if you don't have one. Add this:

  image/jpeg; your-preferred-viewer %s; gui
  image/jpeg; ls -ld %s; copiousoutput

and repeat with other content types as I have done if people send you
images in those types.

The mutt-users list is a useful place to hang out, BTW.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Given the choice between cold-boiled jesus and Satan, our Lord and Master,
Grand Epopt of the Homosexual Conspiracy, we'll choose the latter every time.
        - mickw at autodesk.com (Mick Washbrook)