Where are file associations set/stored?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Mar 27 07:57:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 09:25:08AM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Mar2007 11:27, List Mail <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> | Where does FC6 store file associations?
>
> Depends on the app. Mailcap is supposed to be the main place, but a lot of
> GUIs doesn't use it. But fortunately...
>
> | I want to change the association of xv with jpg files which seems to
> | be the default as my system tried to run xv when I attempted to view a
> | jpg file from within mutt.
>
> Your app is mutt. It uses your .mailcap file. Mine says:
>
>   image/jpeg; ah %s -end xv; gui
>   image/jpeg; noui iminfo %s; copiousoutput
>   image/pjpeg; ah %s -1 xv; gui
>   image/pjpeg; noui iminfo %s; copiousoutput
>
> Which runs "iminfo" (a small script that runs jhead etc) for text
> display and "xv" inside my "ah" script for the attachment display.
>
> Make yourself a "~/.mailcap" file if you don't have one. Add this:
>
>   image/jpeg; your-preferred-viewer %s; gui
>   image/jpeg; ls -ld %s; copiousoutput

Yes, for some reason I had missed it when I looked at first which is
why I asked the question.  I was also confused because my .mailcap was
one from my Solaris installation and thus was a little awry for Linux.

> and repeat with other content types as I have done if people send you
> images in those types.
>
> The mutt-users list is a useful place to hang out, BTW.

I'm already there, have been for many years, because of the symptoms
of what I was seeing I didn't realise it was probably more of a mutt
issue than a Fedora one.

--
Chris Green