squid problem SOLVED (sort of)

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00003 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 08:13:07 UTC 2007

Verily I say unto thee, that Gerhard Magnus spake thusly:

>> http://lib6.wsulibs.edu:8888/sfx_local
>>
>> and I get a "Connection to 134.121.5.234 failed" error message from
>> squid.  But if I change the browser to use the direct internet
>> connection things work normally.
>>
>> Why is this happening?  Is there some other setting I need to make in
>> squid.conf?
>>
> After fiddling with this problem for about a month -- following threads
> from Google and starting one of my own on www.linuxquestions.org, all to
> no avail -- I finally found this priceless revelation in the book "Linux
> Power Tools" by Roderick W. Smith (p.175):
>
> "Some websites simply don't work well through a proxy..."
>
> Simply add the name of problematic websites to the "No Proxy for" list
> on the Firefox "Connection Settings" panel.  This may be a kludge... but
> who has the time to try out all 125 or so settings
> in /etc/squid/squid.conf?

No, no, no.

It's just *one* setting:

######
acl Safe_ports port <port numbers or range> # optional comment
######

Here's mine:

######
acl Safe_ports port 80          # http
acl Safe_ports port 21          # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563     # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70          # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210         # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535  # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280         # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488         # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591         # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777         # multiling http
acl Safe_ports port 11371       # PGP keyserver query
acl Safe_ports port 2082        # Bluehost cPanel login
######

Actually I should probably clean that up, since I don't use most of them.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2300.fc5
 09:09:29 up 7 days,  7:23,  3 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.75, 0.52