Dell to sell Linux PCs

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Tue Mar 27 20:51:44 UTC 2007

BRUCE STANLEY <bruce.stanley at prodigy.net> wrote:

GaryCarr <gcarr at lanl.gov> wrote:        It is hard to select a linux box from the main "www.dell.com" web site. Instead try "linux.dell.com", and then on the right hand column select "n-series Desktops" or "n-series Notebooks".

 Guy Fraser wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 08:27 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
        BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

        > If you go out to the Dell Website and select the "Dell
 s Vista"

        So it's nice if you can get Linux in the US Dell site, but I
        can only
        find it mentioned and I certainly am not being allowed to
        compare prices.

        -Andy

Interesting.  Can you select the USA option from the Main page?

Or, can you order Linux via a salesman rather than ordering it
on line?

If not, maybe for some reason Dell is not yet set up to ship
Linux systems out of the USA.

Can't imagine why that would make a difference though.

Doesn't matter, the Canadian and US sites don't allow you to select
Linux either, you can only Customize with XP or Customize with Vista.

You would probably have to order by phone or email. They do not want
to advertise their pricing for Linux, likely because they are still
way overcharging for it.

We order the Dell rack mount servers
 without any O/S, and do our
own custom installs, which we feel is preferable to a cookie cutter
Linux/Unix install.

  Try the following:

www.dell --> Destktops --> Medium & Large Buisness -->
    Dell Precision Work Stations --> Dell Precision  690, 490,  or 390 options.

--
Another note,   you can not configure the Blade servers to run linux
but you can configure the Rack mounted or Tower Based servers

I worked for me all the way up to adding in my Shopping Cart.

Not that I planned to buy anything...    :-)